1.24.2005

A Moment of Reflection....

As I am spared a little moment of free time, I just wanted to reflect on what it has meant to me as far a being a father. I still don't feel like one. After two years, and three babies, I still see myself as a kid baby-sitting someone else's kids. Don't get me wrong, I am a very proud father, it just hasn't hit me fully. I feel awkward disciplining Jadon and lecturing him. Taking him out to eat, just the two of us, is a strange experience to me(no matter how many times we have done it). I am definitely enjoying his development of communication. His ability to put multiple words together in a very very short amount of time just surprises me to no end. Some few examples of his communication: "ice cream cake" (which he has long associated with birthdays), "no more ____" (fries, burgers, pain, rice, meat, water, milk, etc), "mama/dada car," "big car."

As far as the girls go, they are so much like little kittens. They weigh a mere 4.5 lbs, and their wimpers and cries are like kittens. Vanessa is an eating enthusiast while Natalie is just a sleeping machine. Vanessa knows when it's eating time and works like a clock by crying. Natalie could care less (if it weren't for her sister, she probably wouldn't eat for a very very long time). Vanessa is a very serious eater and she just get's down to business (she eats more than Natalie by the way) while Natalie is a leisurely eater. She just looks around, takes a sip here or there and then decides to close her eyes and try to sleep. There is even a distinct cry between the two. Vanessa's is quite an annoying high pitch, ear scratching wail. Natalie has a cute wimper-like-cry. As far as their pooping goes, they go a lot. For such small little creatures, they take dumps like crazy. They go before eating, after eating, and during diaper changing (now that's just disgusting).

That's all part of fatherhood (enjoyable yet challenging). While I love fatherhood and continue to enjoy it immensely as each day passes, I can't help but to admit that there is this small, itsy-bitsy, little (0.00000001%) part of me that thinks "so when is someone going to pick up these kids?" It's surreal at times to think that these are my kids. I am now a parent of three. We are a family of five. I guess it's time to consider retiring my powers of fertility and go under the knife.

Well time to get back to reality and get back to "work."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're just going through a mild case post-partum shock. You'll be just fine. Just keep your chin up and try to fit in as much sleep as you can.
Marilyn

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home