1.04.2007

Dishing Out Punishments.

When it comes to giving out punishments, I think I do it more than Fiona does (even though she's around them a lot more than I). Part of it is because the kids have kind of tuned out their momma and when I start my angry tone, they listen. I hate to have to discipline my kids but I feel that I have to in order for them to learn some of life's lessons.

The past few months I have told Fiona that I will probably have to start implementing spankings for Jadon if he becomes really bad because timeouts aren't having it's complete effect anymore. I have set spankings for those rare rare occasions when Jadon is really naughty (I hope that I won't have to experience much of it). Well last week I ended up having to resort to spanking Jadon. Natalie wanted to play with Jadon's toy that he got from Christmas and he pushed her down and she bonker her head on the hard floor. That merited the extreme punishment. I didn't want to do it but he has to know that he crossed the line of hurting someone. Luckily he has some fat on his butt to cushion the blow.

When it comes to the girls', their punishments usually consist of lectures, putting them in their cribs (another version of timeouts), and little slaps on the hands. With Natalie, those are somewhat sufficient on trying to get the message across (for a short period of time). With Vanessa, I find myself trying to find more sophisticated ways of teaching her lessons. Lately I feel like there is a standoff with when it comes to eating dinner. She is such a little stubborn little girl. Once in a while she'll eat but a lot of times she will take one, or two, (maybe even three) bites before she shakes her head signaling that she doesn't want anymore. It's not like she is full either. I have had to resort in lecturing her, putting her in timeouts, lecturing her some more, letting the other kids play while she sits in her high chair. No such luck. She doesn't budge. She'll just keep that food in her mouth as long as she can (or until she gags). Yesterday she did the same and I tried a few more techniques. I refuse to give up (which might show where Vanessa gets her stubbornness from). She was in her chair with a mouthful of food (not chewing). We were going to go out so I put Jadon and Natalie in the car, turned off the lights (except the kitchen) and told Vanessa that we are going out. I said to her that if she wanted to go out that she had to finish her food. I waved bye-bye to her and she just waved back. It wasn't until she saw Fiona leave that she began to cry. Unfortunately she still didn't want to eat. I had Fiona and I wait in the garage while she was sitting in her chair alone but she didn't make a peep. So eventually Fiona took her out and we went out on a Costco run. I talked to Fiona about how maybe we should give Natalie and Jadon snacks just to show Vanessa that if she doesn't eat her dinner that she doesn't get any snacks. Fiona proceeded to do that and that seemed to have an effect on her. We kept on telling her that if she doesn't eat her dinner that she doesn't get snacks. Whether that will work on her remains to be seen.

Ah.....kids. I hate to punish them but I don't want to spoil them either and let them walk over us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home