10.22.2007

Fire Frightened.

I'm not talking about this upcoming Halloween. I'm referring to the Santiago Canyon Fire (one of almost a dozen Southern California Fires) that started last night. That was in our neck of the woods and we were at a point where we had some things packed and put in our car in case of an evacuation. We were probably about 7-10 minutes away from the fire but with the way the winds have been gusting (25-60 mph), the flames could have (and still could) spread super fast. So I asked Fiona if she had packed any clothes at that point and she said that she hadn't. She just packed up snacks and drinks. I guess we know where her head (or should I say stomach) was. The in-laws, who live about 5 minutes away from us, were evacuated though. The kids were insanely active yesterday. I likened the girls to dogs that can sense danger. Jadon, on the otherhand, kept telling me that he was scared. I reassured him that "the fire is far away and that the strong wind was blowing the smoke all the way over to us" and that was the reason why it smelled. I also reassured him that "nothing is going to happen and that momma and dadda are going to be right here." He broke out into tears though. After we prayed about it, he seemed to be more at ease. Hopefully he wasn't kept from sleeping. As it turned out (as of this morning), we weren't evacuated and so far no homes have been damaged. I'm sure that the in-laws are safely back at home. Although I did here a potential rumor that this fire could have been caused by an arson, which wouldn't have surprised me with the speed that this fire occured at.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home