1.16.2006

To Answer Or To Not Answer....

It's been a year now since Jadon has been nonstop talking, asking, blabbing. Sure it's great that he has speech and can communicate (at times) his needs and wants but there are times when the kid just won't keep quiet. We try to not impede his communicativeness (is that a word?) but there are those times when we'll say "Enough!", "Be quiet!", and once in a while (when times are trying) "Shut up!" Lately though I have noticed Fiona answering Jadon's questions in adult conversation. So I decided to give it a try. Yesterday I was outside playing with Jadon. He was looking a the curb and there was some residual water that was nearly dried out. Here's how our conversation went:

Jadon: "Where did the water go?"
Me: "The water evaporated into the air because the weather has been warm."
Jadon: "Yeah." (as if he knew what I was talking about)

Sometimes he'll repeat some of the big words that we say. So I guess answering him like we would answer an adult is better then ignoring him or telling to be quiet.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He didn't ask what evaporated means? I once tried to explain that we wash our hands because of microbes and my 3 year old asks "What are my crows? Are they gonna eat us?"

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Shut up!" to a 3 year old is a bit exessive. Not trying to tell you what to do, but I'm sure you don't want him picking that up and saying that to you or the twins.

-pete

9:43 PM  
Blogger a mindless zombie said...

I think cussing would be a bit excessive. I don't want you or anyone to think that I say it on a regular basis (I don't necessarily condone it) and if I say something harsh (and he cries from it) I'll go and apologize. But once in a blue moon when things are intense, hitting a boiling point, or he has been bad and continues to be bad, saying it will let him know that he has cross the line.

9:49 PM  
Blogger a mindless zombie said...

Addendum to my last comment: Besides I think you are missing the point. To try and curb myself from responding meanly or ignoring him (when I am annoyed, I am answering him. It may not be in lamens terms but an answer that doesn't demean him.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no i get your point. i do the same to jessie when she starts asking too many questions. i give her a complicated answer and she goes "oh".

-pete

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha.... so the solution to answering redundant questions is by giving them a college degree answer that they will never understand?

9:16 AM  
Blogger a mindless zombie said...

Well someday I hope they will understand my answers but for now kids just want any answer to their questions. Then hopefully they'll back off

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then why not lie to them. It's much more fun ;)

Where did the water go?
The homeless drink the water when we aren't looking.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home