12.12.2006

Quick Recovery.

I'm back at work after suffering a bout of the stomach virus. It mainly lasted on Sunday. It probably would have lasted longer but my Dad came over and gave me some drugs for the diarrhea and some antibiotics. I had little residual effects yesterday but was feeling pretty good by the evening. After dinner, we took all the kiddies out for a drive to look at decorated houses. Fiona found this really good decorated neighborhood across the street from Jadon's school.

Jadon seems to just about to be 90% recovered. He has been telling us that he is hungary but we are limiting him on the types (and amount) of foods that he can eat. Once in a while he'll tell us that his tummy hurts but that usually leads him to go potty and after that, he feels better. I have been telling him that he needs to be sure that if he tells me that his tummy hurts, that it really hurts because I might have to take him back to the hospital. He ends up thinking about his tummy aches and tells me that it doesn't hurt like before. To go into a little more detail on our visit at the hospital, it started off relatively well. I was expecting to wait for a few hours before we got called in. I took Jadon to Mission Hospital down in Mission Viejo (next to Choc). We arrived at 12:00am. I filled out some papers and was instantly called back. That was fast. The nurse took some stats on Jadon and soon enough we were in our own room. That was fast too. Another nurse came in, asked for some information, and did some blood work. That was fast but that was very excruciating for Jadon. He screamed so loud that another nurse came in to check on things. Plus he was moving his hand so much that the needle came out and blood squirted the nurse. I was thinking that this nurse needs more experience because I kept asking her if I should hold down his arms as well. She only had me hold down his legs. So after the blood was drawn, IV inserted, and some Morphin (for the tummy aches), and Zophran (for the puking) was administered, Jadon was wheeled over to the Ultrasound department. He enjoyed his bedride and likened it to a roller coaster ride. During the ultrasound, he was just telling me how much it tickles. He would give a little giggle everytime the tech moved the probe. After the test was done, we headed back to our room. After a short bit, the doctor came in to tell us that results on the ultrasound came back negative with the exception of some swollenness in a gland in his abdomen. No signs of appendicitis. Great news. Then he told me that all he was waiting on was the blood test results and then we could be discharged. That's when it went downhill. After 30 or so minutes later, the nurse came back in the room and realized that the blood vials were still in the room. Then a while later the nurse came back in wanting to get a little more blood from Jadon. He was definitely not happy about that. At 4:30am. The nurse came back to see how Jadon was doing and told us that we'll be discharged shortly. Well half an hour passed and no nurse. I paged the nurses station and they said that they would track down the nurse. 30 minutes later and still no nurse. I went on to page again and they eventually sent another nurse in. He said that there has been a doctor shift change and the new doctor was being overwhelmed with patients and that he'll get to us shortly. I was so tired and a little cranky but I held myself in check. So during all this time, Jadon was just as chipper as can be. He was talking and yapping away. The drugs must have given him a second wind. I tried to keep him occupied by watching some t.v. I tried to get some shut eye but he just kept talking and asking me questions. Finally the discharge nurse comes in and right then Jadon tells me that his tummy hurts. The nurse tells me that she's going to talk to the doctor so there will be a delay in the discharge process. I ask Jadon does your tummy still hurt and he tells me no. I got a little frustrated at that point because I really really wanted to go home and sleep. I calmly explained to Jadon that he has to be sure that his tummy hurts because otherwise the doctors will keep us here longer and that they might have to do more tests. The doctor came in to ask us some final questions and then the nurse came in to remove the IV line from Jadon's hand. He was not happy about that. After that, we were finally discharged and finally got him at 6:30am.

So now things are getting back to normal. During all of this commotion of tending to all the sickies we managed to buy a tree (Fiona went out on Friday to buy one), decorate it (on Saturday), wrap presents (just me), and finally get my garage organizers installed (yesterday). Hopefully we won't get sick for a long time and we can just enjoy the holidays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home